Royal Academy of Dance

Training to be a Royal Academy of Dance Registered Teacher

The Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies (CBTS) is a Royal Academy of Dance 2-year Distance Learning Programme (part time).  

  • Delivery is by distance learning (2 years part-time)
  • There are five modules of study as follows:
    • Observation for Teaching
    • Health, Safety and Professional Responsibilities 
    • Ballet and Teaching: Knowledge and Understanding
    • Practical Teaching
    • Professional Portfolio 
  • Students are required to attend an intensive study period in their first year of study (a maximum of 14 days to be scheduled between July and September).
  • Students are required to complete a mentored Practical Teaching Placement during the second year of the programme.
  • Application forms are available through the NZ office.
  • Fees for 2018/19 are $12,070 including GST, payable in 4 instalments over the 2-year period. This covers course access to all material, tutoring and mentoring, assessments for each module, three visits by a Practical Teaching Supervisor and an Intensive Study Period of up to 14 days.
  • CBTS Entry Requirements:
    • One of the following RAD examinations: Intermediate, Advanced Foundation, Advanced 1, Advanced 2, or an equivalent examination from a recognised dance teaching society.  Please note that Grades 6-8 do not quality as Vocational Graded examinations.  Applicants without formal qualifications may be considered on submission of video/DVD evidence
  • Closing Dates
    • For applicants who meet the minimum criteria, applications must be received by the NZ office by 1 August of the year before the CBTS course begins 
    • For applicants who do not hold the minimum criteria, applications can be submitted with an accompanying video.  In this case applications must be received by the NZ office by 1 June of the year before the CBTS course begins.

For a CBTS Information Pack and Application for studying the CBTS in New Zealand, contact the RAD NZ office.

For further general information about the CBTS check out the RAD UK Faculty of Education website

If you already have a FHEQ Level 4 dance teaching qualification or equivalent, or the CBTS, you may be interested in the Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies.

Check out the Professional Dancers Postgraduate Teaching Certificate and the Professional Dancer's Teaching Diploma.